Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sofia, Bulgara

During my last day in Bulgaria I was in Sofia, Bulgaria. Cassie Lara and Joe Heath gave me a tour of the city. Cassie is one of my former students at NNU and Joe is from the church I served in Pennsylvania (small world)!

We visited several Eastern Orthodox Churches and a Russian Orthodox Church. The highlight of the day was attending the mid-night Easter Service on Saturday night at the patron church in Sofia. This Eastern Orthodox Church was built only about 200 years ago. The service included bringing in "holy flame" from Jerusalem. The priest brought the flame into the service, blessed it, and then lite the candles of the people. We lite our candle and carried it to our house. The story is if you can do that your home and family will be blessed for the year. During the service there were several secret service men in the audience. Later in the service the President of Bulgaria attended the service.

My time in Sofia was a great way to end my trip in Bulgaria. We finished the evening by eating spaghetti at 2:00 a.m. (Cassie made Joe and I dinner).





No comments:

Post a Comment